There are so many travel experiences I want to have in my lifetime, and I don’t want to leave any corner of the Earth unturned. I put together this list of things that I think everyone should experience at least once in their life. I’ve already been lucky enough to check some of the things off my list! They are the ones marked with an [X]. Let me know in the comments how many of these experiences you’ve had so far, and which ones you want to check off your bucket list the most!
• Go skydiving
• Travel to all 7 continents
Yes, even Antarctica.
• Climb the Eiffel Tower in Paris [X]
Don’t cheat and take the elevator! The stairs really aren’t as daunting as they may seem, and you feel so much more accomplished after climbing your way up!
• Hike through the Grand Canyon [edit: ticked off in October 2015!]
I’m so excited to cross this off my bucket list when I visit with my family in October!
• Take a surfing lesson
• Walk the Sydney Harbour Bridge [edit: ticked off in November 2015!]
• Go on an African safari
• Swim with dolphins in the Caribbean
• Have a stein of beer at Oktoberfest in Munich [X]
Oktoberfest is such an insane time with rowdy drunk people and huge disorganised lines to get into beer tents, but definitely something everyone should experience at least once.
• Visit the Great Wall of China
• Road trip across the United States
There are so many different cultures in the US, and a road trip would be the best way to experience a bunch of them in one go.
• Go to Carnival in Rio de Janeiro
• Ride a camel in the Arabian desert
• See a Broadway show in New York City [X]
I have been lucky enough to see 11 Broadway shows so far! I’m planning to do a more in-depth post on Broadway shows soon, but so far my favourites have been Kinky Boots, If/Then, and This Is Our Youth.
• Hike Machu Picchu
• Drive Great Ocean Road in Australia [edit: ticked off in December 2015!]
Often considered the most beautiful drive in the world. I’m hoping to experience this sometime in the next year!
• Ride a double decker bus in London [X]
• Volunteer in a poor area
• See the Northern and Southern Lights
• Kiss the Blarney Stone in Cork, Ireland
• Go snorkelling somewhere tropical [X]
I have been snorkelling in Bermuda, and even though I have a slight fear of fish, it was so much fun!
• Go bungee jumping
• Take a gondola ride in Venice
• Visit an elephant sanctuary in South Asia
• Learn a foreign language in another country
Or teach your language to students in another country.
• Take a helicopter ride over the volcanoes of Hawaii
• Drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to LA
• Live abroad [X]
I lived in France for four months in 2012, but I can definitely say that wasn’t the last time I’ll live abroad! If all goes according to plan, I could be moving to another country six months from now… Stay tuned to hear more about that 😉
• See Ayer’s Rock in the Australian Outback [edit: ticked off in December 2016!]
• Play blackjack in Las Vegas [edit: ticked off in October 2015!]
Something else I will be able to check off my bucket list soon! Along with the Grand Canyon, my family will be going to Las Vegas in October.
• Go to an airport and book a ticket on the next flight out
• Climb Table Mountain in Cape Town
• Fill up every page of your passport
• Go ziplining through the jungle in Costa Rica
• Go on a health retreat in Bali [edit: visited Bali in November 2016! I didn’t go on an official health retreat, but I had a massage overlooking a rice field, so that’s pretty darn close!]
• Get in touch with your spiritual side at Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia
• Ride the London Eye [X]
I rode the London Eye at night, which was beautiful but I still want to try riding it during the day too!
• White water raft down the Zambezi River
If you’re not familiar, it’s on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia and is near Victoria Falls, the largest waterfall in the world.
• See the Taj Mahal in India
• Witness the history and taste the authentic Italian food in Rome [X]
They don’t call it the Eternal City for nothing! There are few cities in the world that can compare to the history and culture of Rome.
• Visit Hobbiton in New Zealand
I guess if you aren’t a Lord of the Rings fan, this wouldn’t appeal to you. But I was once so obsessed with LOTR that I watched all three movies every weekend and named one of my purses Pippin, so needless to say, I am dying to visit Hobbiton!
• Visit Easter Island
Not many people get the experience to visit Easter Island, so it really is something special for the true adventurer.
• Go skiing in the Alps
• Watch the penguins come out in Melbourne or Cape Town [ticked off in November 2015! The first of many visits to Melbourne’s penguin colony]
I’ve seen photos of the penguins that come out on the beaches in both of these cities, and it seems so adorable! Definitely something I need to experience.
• Go back in time in Cuba
Americans were banned from visiting Cuba for a little while, but the country is open to us again! I’ve heard visiting Cuba is like entering a time warp. Everything looks as it did in the 1950s. I’ve always loved the ’50s so I would love to experience that!
• Go to the top of the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the tallest building in the world
• Visit the Atacama Desert in Chile
• Go to a karaoke bar in Tokyo
• Visit the markets in Marrakech
• See the Great Pyramids in Egypt
I would say I’m probably more adventurous and travel-obsessed than the average person, but let me know how many of these things you are dying to experience as well (and anything else that I didn’t include in my list)! And if you have checked any of these things off your bucket list, tell me all about it in a comment!
Hi I’m Christie, a 26 year old girl originally from Boston who has spent time living in New York City, North Carolina, France, Australia, and New Zealand. I love moving to new places and exploring them as a local, and I can’t see my nomadic expat life stopping any time soon! I have no bigger passion than travel, and when I’m not exploring I spend my free time reminiscing on past trips and daydreaming about future travel.